Small companies may lack the marketing dollars and visibility of larger brands, but they can still stand out on the shelf by thinking outside the box—literally. Here are five packaging design tips to help you get the attention of customers and even delight them.
1. Go for a handmade look. Customers are drawn to packaging that feels personalized—it's almost as if they're holding a handmade object.
2. Take a sustainable approach. Consumers want to feel good about their purchases. Using sustainable material, such as organic, fair-trade or recyclable paper, will send an environmentally positive message about your brand.
3. Use surprising materials and shapes. A distinctively shaped package or one made of nontraditional materials can signal to consumers that your product is different from the competition.
4. Add in functionality. Customers like packaging that's functional because of its added value
5. Let your package tell your product's story. Some companies think of creative, playful ways to give customers a clue to what's inside the package.